Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Battenkill-Roubaix: Got dirt?


Thanks to the hospitality of Bill and Pat Edwards, the team enjoyed a fantastic meal and a good night’s sleep prior to the race. Unfortunately the morning was not without some trials and tribulatons. First, as we headed out to pack the cars, we noticed Rebecca’s car, affectionately known as “the roller skate,” appeared to have a slow leak in the front tire. Not wasting any time, Rebecca pulled out the floor pump and went to work – hoping we could at least get to the race! Nothing like a little pre-race stress to help that heart rate!


Once we finally arrived (after a short detour following the course route), I realized there was a problem with the skewer and drop out on my rear race wheel. Running late already and not being very mechanically inclined, I decided to just go with my Power Tap wheel. So while everyone else was at registration and warming up, I was futzing with wheels. After a spectacular 15 minute warm up (!) we all managed to make our way to the start area. Needless to say this was not the relaxed state I had envisioned!


OK, so…with a dose of pre-race drama complete, it was time to see if this race lived up to all the hype! In nervous anticipation of the first climb – non dirt that is, I rode up to Mary to ask exactly how long is this? Armed with data from last year, her reply – 3 mins. It was probably a good thing I was at the front – it gave me the chance to float back a little and recover, given my less than ideal warm up!


With the warm up portion over, it was time to face the first dirt climb - for me this set the mental stage for the rest of the race. Suddenly I was reminded of why I have not been quite so successful with cross – I get on dirt and for some reason I automatically slow down – it’s an involuntary response that I can’t explain. Complicating matters further, we ended up sharing the road with another field…so you’re riding at or above threshold, trying to keep your momentum while staying seated (or risk losing traction)…there are riders everywhere and cars honking trying to follow their respective fields…and in the midst of what seems like pandemonium you’re trying to concentrate and most importantly breathe! As I approached the top there was so much congestion and chaos I was forced to hop off my bike. Fortunately I was able to remount on the top and catch back on…


While the second dirt climb was marginally better… by the third climb I had lost the concentration/desire to fight through the dirt. Rather than redline, explode, and rapidly descend backwards I decided to go at my own pace. Fortunately I would regroup with 3 other riders. Eventually we got a nice rotation going – soon the four dwindled to three and by the line it was an Advil-Chapstick rider and I. She of course sprinted at the line! Although I must admit I didn’t see the point at the time, I realize the importance of racing until the end and mentally finishing the race – an important lesson.


In retrospect, while the promoter may have recommended a 39-25 – I would say, break out the compact cranks and/or bring your 27. Afterall Anna Milkowski, the winner of the race, had a 34-50 compact with an 11-26.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun. Or not.

Rebecca said...

Next time I won't give you a hard time when you stress about gearing... lesson learned!