Monday, April 28, 2008

Palmer Library Road Race: Do You Believe In Good Luck Charms?

What happened Sunday is completely beyond me. After Saturday I was beat. I drove straight back to Erik’s and basically explained I would be going to bed…it was maybe 1:30 in the afternoon! And it was there I would stay for the rest of the day…and night…getting up for dinner ( a trough of pasta) and to put in a DVD.

At some point in the evening I would speak to Brooke. Of course I didn’t mention the extent to which I was feeling the dreaded “T” word. Unaware of how I was really feeling, Brooke instructed me in a very straight forward fashion to simply shoot for a top 3 finish. Oh, yeah…no problem…I thought (note: sarcasm). Ha, little did she know that at that point I was feeling more like I would be lucky if I didn’t get dropped on the first lap – probably going downhill! Despite how I felt I decided I was going one way or the other. Afterall, I had already pre-registered.

So Sunday, after a pep talk from my teammate Susanne (thanks Sus!) I pull into the lot and who is there but my Green Mtn. good luck charm! Part of me was happy to see him, but part of me couldn’t believe he had driven all that way – I wasn’t even thrilled about the drive and I was the one racing! While I could use the support, I wasn’t convinced even my Green Mtn. good luck charm could help me at this point. I tried not to let on too much, but my warm up (if you can call it that) was poor at best.


By the time the race would start I wasn’t even concerned about the course – much less the whereabouts of the finish. I was more concerned that the good luck charm had my keys (all five lbs of them)…and what would I do if I got dropped and couldn’t get back into the car? (Important practical considerations.)

Well, one lap in it seemed I was not the only one with tired legs. And despite the tired legs, they seemed to wake up a bit once actually in motion. By the second lap I began to realize my legs might just be alright.

As we approached town on 97N, a deceptively gradual incline, I began to think about the finish (better late than never right?) I did something I never do – I actually made a plan. I decided (ha! ha! ha!) I wanted to be second going up the hill and with 200 meters would try to go for the win. (Go for the win??? Not thoughts I usually have. I even chuckled to myself – ok, Sam, whatever.) But…as we came into town and began the climb towards the line…it was if we were all watching each other…no one was leading anyone out…there was no train to catch on to…as the 200 meter mark approached…someone would have to go…although I was getting itchy to go, I didn’t want to go too soon and get passed at the line (being the hugely powerful sprinter that I am!)…finally out of the corner of my eye I could see Kim (the eventual winner) go…she was on the other side of the field…and then I went…with all had...not quick enough to catch her, but enough to get 2nd.

I was really surprised – especially given how the day had started. But placing aside, I was very happy to have given everything to the line. If you have the time, you can train your body…but I am beginning to appreciate training your mind is actually much tougher!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sweet! You're making me want a massage too.