Monday, May 19, 2008

Wilmington Grand Prix: Everyone Has A "First Time"

Heading down to the Wilmington Grand Prix I was both excited and cautiously optimistic. This being my first NRC race I wasn’t sure what to expect. Lots of friends and teammates offered their advice and support, reflecting on their own “first time.” In most cases this involved a description of how many laps they were able to stay in…not exactly what I wanted to hear…but…some perspective I would come to later appreciate.

Despite the advice and counsel my goal was to be in the main field. I didn’t think this was so unreasonable, then again…who really believes their expectations are unreasonable…? Although I felt I was riding well, I got caught in the wind like many others and would end up getting dropped from the main field and unfortunately lapped …by my coach nonetheless!!! (Talk about the student getting schooled by the teacher!) Fortunately the officials allowed us to continue – not the results I was hoping for but I was pleased in that I didn’t give up. My teammates Rebecca and Brooke would both have great days, finishing 6th and 9th respectively.

Here are a few of the lessons I learned:
Lesson #1: Staging – If you’ve ever flown on Southwest, you have some idea of what it is like to try to get on the start line of an NRC race. My new favorite bad joke is – “what does the start of an NRC race and the Southwest Airlines boarding process have in common?” Both are very similar to a cattle call! If you ain’t being “called up” better sharpen those elbows! And much to my dismay, they do not welcome new comers – instead you get a seat at the proverbial “back of the bus” – welcome to the back of the field!

Lesson #2: Distractions – Although fantastic from a spectators’ perspective, every block of the race offers a new distraction and every corner, a different set of photographers. While I wanted to “take in the experience,” this was also a huge opportunity to recognize the importance of staying focused on the race.

Lesson #3: Announcers - Whatever you do, never listen to the announcer – chances are he is trying to stir up drama (and in the process possibly give you a heart attack). Hearing “oh, and there’s trouble…the field is splintering…” and you’re left to wonder where this so-called “trouble” is brewing – are you safe or is everyone dangling behind you…but of course you can’t look back because you’re pedaling as hard as you can to stay in!!!!

Lesson #4: Moving up – You have got to concentrate on every single lap. If you are not moving forward in the field, you are moving backward. Someone else is always looking to get around you or in front of you. NEVER be content to sit on the wheel of the person in front of you (unless of course you’re in a break with the likes of Jen McRae or Laura Van Gilder.) Always look for the next opportunity to move up.

Now that I have a better idea of what to expect, we’ll see if I can take some of my own advice next weekend at the Kelly Cup, RFK and the Tour of Sommerville.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice report. We're all proud of you. Our Lil' Blue Merckx all grow'd up and racing The Big Time!