Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Jiminy Peak: From Fantastic to Craptastic

First, the good news from earlier in the week – my upgrade was approved!!!! Although I thought it would be close I wasn’t really expecting it to be approved so soon – the plan was actually to shoot for Memorial Day (in time for the Kelly Cup, RFK, and Tour of Sommerville). So this was very much a pleasant surprise and one that came at just the right time (after a very long day of interviews). Now I can look forward to traveling with the team to NRC races – and the pressure is off!

As for Jiminy…I was really hoping to continue the momentum and good results from last week but unfortunately my body conspired against me. I guess it goes to show you can’t have great legs every weekend. This weekend my head was ready to race but my legs went on strike. I had nothing. I was completely on empty. Rebecca had warned me to be on or near the front of the climb on the first lap. But in retrospect maybe what would have been more helpful was to realize just how long and gradual route 7 is as you approach the climb. Let’s just say, on the first lap I didn’t have much of an opportunity to fully appreciate route 7…but after getting dropped on the climb and riding the second lap with a small group I began to understand why the climb was so tough. Oh well, it was not the performance I was hoping for but I’m not going to dwell on it. It’s early in the season, I got my upgrade…there’s lots of racing to look forward to!

No comments: