Sunday, June 15, 2008

PEI Stage 4: Dalvay to Stratford (120 km)



Mary and I at the start. (I'm smiling because I still have all my skin.)

This is what happens when you follow the Chinese! Before you know it, someone locks up their brakes and you're on the ground.


I'm not sure what is more dangerous in a UCI race - going fast or going slow. The crash was completely ridiculous. We were packed in like sardines - just before the feedzone...this would be the second day I did not get a bottle in the feedzone...only this time because I was too busy CHASING like a madwoman, trying to surf the caravan to get back into the main field. (Kori Seehafer, the race leader would also go down in this crash.)

As soon as I hit the ground I was thinking about getting right back up...but as I picked up my bike I would soon realize my left shifter was turned completely upright - like a Campagnolo bullhorn - terrific! So off I go...no front brake...I knew I would be in trouble if I had to do the rest of the race in the big ring, but fortunately the shifting mechanism could still be pushed over. So mechanical issues on the left side...and on the right side...I somehow managed to fall awkwardly on my right hand. Turns out I ended up bruising my right thumb (right where the hoods hit the meat of your thumb) and my pinky...making index shifting a wee bit painful. Little did I know I also managed to do something to my neck and head...the marbles are still rolling around my head (it's now 4 days later and I still have a headache - off to the doctor's tomorrow.)

Basically when you fall in a race like this, there is no option of not finishing - you have to or else you can't race the next day...and given the length of the stage, there is great incentive to use as much adrenaline to chase back on...'cause you don't want to ride the rest of the race by yourself! So this was day two of surfing the caravan to get back in! The first day was cool...the second day...not so much!

Eventually with less than 20 km to go the main field would break apart as another crash occured and we entered a particularly windy stretch. At this point I was out of water but couldn't call up the team car from the caravan (you can't feed once you're within certain proximity to the finish)...and the wind would get the best of me...after a short chase I would catch back up with Natalie (or more accurately "Nat-a-lee Du-mon" as french speakers would say) and Reem of Chapstick Advil. The three of us would ride in together.

Considering all that happened I was feeling very lucky to finish the race. Although looking at results alone it wasn't a great finish, but...I was proud of the work I had done to chase back on...it took presence of mind and tenacity to not only pick myself up off the ground and overcome mechanical issues, but to also chase...not once but twice. To me this was progress in developing greater mental toughness. Let's hope further improvement in that department doesn't involve losing anymore skin...or damage to my bike (replacing Campy record is expensive!)

Geesh, and I was concerned about scars from mountain biking...let's just say, I won't be wearing a bathing suit anytime soon!

No comments: