Sunday, June 1, 2008

Tour of Somerville

To steal a quote from Andy Jacques-Maynes "my goal was to stay off the ground!" (BTW there's a great article about Andy in the latest Velonews - check it out.) After the crash at the Kelly Cup/Bike Jam ("jam" being the operative word) I decided not to race the RFK crit on Sunday. Although the road rash looked bad it was really my neck and shoulders that bothered me most that Sunday morning. So I thought it was best to be a bit conservative and give my body (and my bike) a day to recover.

That being said Monday at Somerville ended up being a great day. I was a little apprehensive about getting back in the mix. I never worried before about crashing, but after Saturday I realized sometimes you don't have any control over what happens. No one wants to be dangerous or cause a crash but at the same time we are all competitive and want to ride aggressively. In any case - all went smoothly.

I was very happy to have the chance to line up behind Tina Pic. I thought to myself, "ok, she has two legs two arms...seems human...but what makes her so fast???!!!" Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

While I did see some sketchy moves and a few crashes, I thankfully stayed out of the fray. On the last lap I followed Brooke around the last corner (near the front), and was in great position...and then the sprint began...well, this is progress...and also a work in progress. I had great position, but now I've got to work on developing a sprint. The good news is - there's room for a lot of improvement!!! Eventually Rebecca and I would roll in together, along with my friend with Nashville roots, Robin Farina. All in all it was a great race and maybe more importantly I managed "to stay off the ground!"

No comments: